Thursday, February 12, 2015

Project Home



I was so sad that I couldn't attend my quilt guild meeting yesterday.  It's a great group of ladies and I look forward to seeing them each month. Calico Cutters, tries to have a challenge for our members each year.  It's a great thing for our members because it affords everyone the opportunity to grow and try something new.  We also try to benefit the community at the same time.  This year we chose to work with an organization called Furnishing Hope. They help wounded veterans and with The House Project, place a small quilt in their home that features a house with an American flag.  The quilts are required to measure 12" x 16", which isn't that big.

I love making house quilts and I made one for this organization about 3 years ago.  I was excited to make another.  Since it is a small quilt, I thought I would try something a bit different.  My plan was to fuse down the appliques, layer the top with batting and a backing.  As I stitched down the appliques, I was quilting it at the same time.  It was easy and it worked.  I think it saved me a lot of time, by cutting my work in half.

First I fused the pieces for the background scenery and then layered it with batting and the backing fabric. I did not pin the layers together because it is so small.

 I top stitched around the landscape and then quilted the mountains, lake, tree and the foreground.
I added the rest of the appliques and top stitched them down through the batting and the backing.
I came across this cute dog fabric and decided that the quilt
and the veteran needed a cute little doggie!
I put fusible web on the back of the dog and then fussy cut it out.


I added a flag and finished it.
"A Cabin On The Lake"

Our guild had 20 participants in the challenge. I didn't get to see them because I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but a little birdie told me I won for best applique.  Yay! I'm sure Project Home will be thrilled to get that many quilts at once.

If you would like to make a quilt to decorate a wounded veterans house, here's the link.
It sure is a fun project and it's a way to thank our veterans for their service.

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. That is such a fun quilt, love how happy it makes me feel and I know it will make a veteran and their family happy, as well. I will have to check out the project.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Chery! I love your little quilt! I didn't know you made it but I voted for it. Unfortunately I was out of the room when they announced the winners so I didn't know who won what. So glad you won for best applique. I liked your quilting too! I know a veteran will enjoy getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and happy little quilt Cheryl. I imagine that it's new owner will smile whenever they look at it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.