Friday, April 4, 2014

Art Quilt Elements

A visit to the Wayne Art Center to see some wonderful quilts that you would never put on your bed. It's a local art center located in a suburb of Philadelphia and has become the centerpiece of FiberPhilly. The quilts are beautifully displayed in 2 galleries.
I apologize for not knowing all of the artists' names.
Kathy York
This really caught my eye. I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
 
Close Up
 

 

Diane Savona

Hollis Chatelaine. Made from jeans. For those of us that know her art, it was a bit of a shock.

Kristin La Flamme
There was a direct view if this quilt from the doorway as you entered the room. It was eye catching. It grew on me and it became one of my favorites.
Betty Busby. "Dendrites"

Close up.

 

 

 

 

Close Up

Marianne Burr

Close Up.

One of the overall trends was the amount of hand stitching. It was not the hand quilting of the past. It was bold and big and had a purpose other than to hold the 3 layers together. I love hand stitching and I really think it connects the quilter with the art.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful display of art quilts, love seeing what others create and being able to see quilts in areas that I have never been.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Kathy York quilt too, the cat quilt not so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you.